While there are many great Search Engine Optimization (SEO) companies around the country, there are also a great number of scams that prey on the naive, inexperienced or desperate website owner. While seeking the assistance from a SEO expert is not a bad idea, that should never be your first step.
There are a few things you should learn about SEO before you begin your journey:
1. There no magic tricks to improve your SEO.
2. No company can promise you a #1 ranking.
3. You should not pay for links or to have your site added directories.
4. No company know the search algorithm.
5. There are really only 2 search engines that really matter: Google and Bing
Google also offers a wealth of tools and information that are easy to follow and truly designed to help you improve your site, here are some examples:
- Webmaster guidelines
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Google-friendly sites
- Making sure Google knows about your site
- My site isn’t doing well in search
- Google’s Search Engine Optimization – Starter Guide